At least 100 square feet and reasonably square:
- 8' high & shorter - less than $10 per sq. ft.
- 8' to 12' high - less than $12 per sq. ft.
- Steps - less than $50 each.
- Landings (4' x 4') - $300.
Basic Covered Porches
Open rafters & asphalt shingles:
- Less than $10 per sq. ft. (not including the deck).
- Extra $ for gutters.
- Extra $ for screens.
- Thicker decking boards.
- Angles in the deck design.
- Multilevel decks, when we decide where to change levels.
More Expensive Upgrades
- Better grade decking boards.
- Decking boards at an angle.
- Fancy rails, thicker rails, cedar rails, or metal rails.
- Screws instead of nails.
- Multilevel decks, when you decide where to change levels.
- Cedar is a smooth board and looks great when it is first installed, but it only lasts 8 to 10 years. Pressure-treated cypress is also a nice wood. Either of these will add about 25% to the price.
Most Expensive Upgrades
- Composite decking.
- Changing porches from rustic to paint-ready.